Sunday, September 18, 2011

Seasons

Many people will tell you that spring is their favorite season. I can understand that sentiment, life renews, flowers bloom, the temperatures warm as the days get longer. For some reason, I love fall the best. I don't know if it is because my birthday is in the fall, or because the holiday season is upon us or because the temperatures drop... I am beginning to think it is because that is when the new chapter of life begins for those of us in Academia.

I grew up in a household of academics and my father's joy at the beginning of each new school year was contagious. He would be giddy at the start of every semester, giddy with the possibilities each new class brought to his life. I, on the other hand, used to feel the dread of having to meet new classmates, learn that new locker combination and live up to the standards my parents set by example. Now, however, I can see why Dad was so excited, so many bright minds and wonderful stories to share.

I have lived in several places where the seasons are not the same as here in the Midwest US. I have always been miserable in October in those places - the lack of change making me feel like something important was missing in my life. Florida, California, West Africa - you guys can keep your versions, I like the big changes.

As soon as the temperatures turn cooler I find I am invigorated and suddenly want to cook and bake. Perhaps it is a residual urge, from the times when preparing for the winter was a life or death matter. I am currently struggling with an irrational desire to buy a bushel of tomatoes and put them up for the winter, alone in this tiny apartment where I have neither the space for such an endeavor, nor the bellies to be filled. Instead, this year my challenge is to figure out what I can cook and bake that can be easily stored, consumed and shared. I want to make casseroles, stews and soups and bake all kinds of muffins,  pies and cakes. But I have a tiny freezer, so I am going to have to be careful not to over-do.

I love the Autumn. Bring on the cooler temperatures, steady rains and changing leaves. I am ready to get busy in the kitchen!

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful, inviting, warm and cozy vignette.

    ReplyDelete