Sunday, December 8, 2013

A baby speaks...

A dear friend passed this on to me shortly after the birth of my first child... and today I share it with all of you. (If it doesn't bring tears to your eyes...)

A BABY SPEAKS

In Silence I lie and watch thy face, Sweet Mother mine.
And think how full thou art of grace, And, oh how kind!
And I almost laugh as I hear you say
“I think the baby has noticed today.”

To Thee I am “baby” – thou dost not know
How often I’ve lived – how long ago
A chieftain I was, and once a King –
Though now I appear such a little thing!

I’ve had my share of earthly joy;
Of woman’s love I’ve made a toy,
And once in martyrdom I died –
(To atone for my other sins I tried!)

But God, a seal upon my lips has set,
And twill not be lifted ‘till I forget,
For God is much wiser than thou or I -
I must not remember how it feels to die!

Dear little mother, with eyes so brown,
When I wanted rebirth I sought around
‘Till I found thee, with thy face divine,
And then I knew that thou wert mine –

That thou my mother in truth would be.
Sweetheart, I was wise in choosing thee!
So day by day into thy face
I’ll look until I lose all trace
Of other lives, and only know
That I am here and love thee so.

(Author Unknown)
(From Magazine “Woman’s Life”, March 7th, 1896)

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment