Sunday, September 22, 2013

On Guns


     I was thinking about writing about a variety of different things this morning. Then I ran across an article in the Sunday paper that struck a bit too close to home. The article itself isn’t available online yet, but it was written by one of my favorite Flint Journal writers, Andrew Heller. Over the years his articles have often made me laugh out loud as he has commented on the trials and tribulation of raising a family, living in the Flint area, and other social issues. 
     Earlier this week I heard about two men who, following some kind of road rage incident, pulled into a car wash in a small town in Michigan and shot each other to death. Both were legally carrying concealed weapons. What a couple of idiots, I thought. I hope it was worth it, to be right – to not only die in order to be right, but to kill another human being, in order to be right. And what a stupid legal system we have. And, shaking my head at the stupidity of it all, I set the whole story aside.
    Today, in reading the Sunday paper, I saw the names of the two men who lost their lives for no good reason. One of the names jumped off the page and punched me in the gut. I went to high school with Robert Taylor. He is one of my facebook friends. Yes, I have known that he owns guns, he is a Michigan boy who hunts deer – many of the people I went to school with participate in this tradition here in the mitten. Robert and I were never close friends, but he has often put kind words of encouragement on my posts. And he was one of those idiots. He took another man’s life, and lost his own, over some stupid bad behavior on the highway. What a waste.

    This incident was in the wake of the shootings at the Naval Yard near our Nation’s Capitol. Yes, another mass shooting. This time, thankfully, no children were involved. That incident was followed by a journalism professor at KU being suspended from his job because of a hateful response tweet.
    I try very hard not to be judgmental. I try to accept other people’s decisions about how to conduct their lives. But I simply do not understand how anyone feels it is necessary to own, much less carry, a handgun. Owning a riffle so one can go hunting, or protect themselves from wild animals is one thing. Owning and carrying a hand gun is something different.

    Having lived in West Africa as a child, having a gun pointed in my face at the age of 8, and having seen what life is like in countries where hand guns are forbidden, I do not understand what would make anyone think that a populace armed with hand guns is a good idea. This is beyond stupidity.  I really don’t know what to say. But I am pretty sure if Robert and the other driver hadn’t had hand guns, they might have knocked each other silly, they might be in the hospital, or in jail, but I am pretty sure they would both be alive today to read my post, and try to talk me out of my beliefs  and that “guns don’t kill people”.

No comments:

Post a Comment