Friday, September 27, 2013

Pumpkin Cookies

A couple of weeks ago I bought 2 pie pumpkins at the grocery store. (They were on sale, buy one get one free.) I cleaned them, roasted them and pureed the flesh. I put two cups of the puree into freezer bags and froze two of them so we can have fresh pumpkin pies in November. (Like we do!) The trick to this technique is to cut the bags off the frozen pumpkin before thawing it, or it is just a big gloppy mess.

The other two cups I used to make cookies. I am trying to be healthier in my baking endeavors so I have been lowering the amount of sugars and adding more fiber. Anyway, these came out really yummy so I thought I would share the recipe here. Enjoy.

Pumpkin Cookies
An autumn favorite, these cookies are soft and chewy.These are fabulous with a glass of fresh apple cider.

3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
8 oz solid pack pumpkin (or 1 Cup fresh pumpkin puree)
2 Cups flour
1 1/2 cup oats
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugars until well blended. Add egg and vanilla. Mix in pumpkin. Stir in dry ingredients. Add chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto cookie sheet. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10—12 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

TIP: microwave for 15-20 seconds to re-melt chips!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment