Sunday, October 4, 2009

My baby boy

Exactly 20 years ago it was a clear crisp night in a small town in Indiana. Larry had the camera out and went out on our balcony to get some fresh air. He called in to me as I labored, that there were "a jillion stars out" that night. "Great" I growled between contractions, "If it's a girl, we'll name her Jillian Star Jerrim".

My midwife Kristen, and her assistant, Larry and Judy were all there to greet him as he finally joined our family at 6:40am. He was perfect. Sometimes when babies are born they look kind of scrunched up, wrinkly, or alien, but this baby was perfect. He was enormous, as far as newborns go, weighing in at 9 lbs, 14 oz, but he was beautiful. After cleaning us all up, introducing him to his Dad and brother, and eating a good breakfast, we both fell asleep. It had been a long night.

I awoke to somthing soft on my cheek. When I opened my eyes this tiny person was looking me straight in the eye with a look of wonder in his blue eyes as his tiny fingers touched my face. My heart constricted in my chest, I held my breath, and in an instant I knew that I would love this child forever. "Thank you, for coming to be with me" I whispered to him.

When you have a child life becomes a real adventure. You have your own hopes and dreams for that child, but every day is a suprise. He says or does something which brings a smile to your face and once again, your chest will have that catch, where the love swells up and almost hurts, but then explodes in a wave of love and pride that washes over you. I could go on and on about my children, but I am pretty sure it is unnecessary. Anyone who knows them at all will understand. So, today, I am wishing my baby boy the happiest of birthdays. Flourish and prosper sweetheart, and, once again, thank you for coming to be with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment