Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My Theatrical Career

In high school I was a promising thespian with major roles in each of the eight productions during my tenure at DeWitt High School. I loved being on stage and the audiences loved me back. Coupled with my interests and activities singing, I had always dreamed of being in musicals on Broadway. And yes, I do love musicals despite what most of my friends have to say about them. I am aware of the unreality of people singing their thoughts or ideas while dancing in unison in everyday places. (And why doesn't the orchestra join in with me whenever the urge strikes me to do so?)

After high school, as most of you know, my career took a different path and I never made it to Broadway. (Sad face) However that was not the end of my acting career, it was only the beginning. I spent a winter in Miami with my grandparents and chanced upon the opportunity to be an extra in the forgettable film Black Sunday. (Don't bother, I rented it a number of times and have never managed to see myself in the crowd at the Orange Bowl!)But somehow my acting career has managed to go downhill from there. A few years ago my friend Brian invited us to come to the set of a movie he was making and we got to be zombies - which was a blast! And although we got rained out, I do believe if you go to see The Dead Matter this fall when it hits theaters, you might actually get to glimpse the back of our heads. This was followed by another extra performance in a short film by a Michigan writer/director last summer. There is very little chance you will ever see that fine piece of work, which will probably be a good thing, since it was not our best performances. However, if you are ever in Turkey, Larry and I did the English translation voice-overs for a couple of beautiful documentaries while I was working in Istanbul. They are both very professional and visually stunning works - with awesome voice-overs.

So it occurred to me that my career has gone from successful high school thespian to bad movie extra to voice overs... so I have gone from being very visible to simply being heard... am I disappearing?

No comments:

Post a Comment